Thursday, August 4, 2011

Falling or Flying?

Hey there blog friends! It has been a quick and busy summer as you can probably tell by my lack of blogs. I will soon update about the last 3 months, but tonight I'd like to discuss an idea that has especially resonated with me lately, falling or flying.

This particular idea comes from two sources, a favorite song of mine, 'Falling or Flying' by Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, and a main theme from one of my favorite movies, 'The Shawshank Redemption'. In the movie, the wrongly convicted inmate Andy Dufresne tells us that we better "get busy living, or get busy dying". Now obviously this is a topic that we've all mulled over from time to time, and usually at times when we feel like we aren't really doing anything with our lives. Well today at lunch with a friend it really hit me that for the first 18 years of my life I worked steadily to achieve my goal of going to Auburn. Then for the next 5 (oops!) years, my goal (for most of the time) was to graduate from Auburn. Now that I have accomplished the only major life goals I ever set for myself I have to stop and ask myself, am I falling or flying?

Clearly, for the first 22 years I've been flying towards something, but my past 3 months of just working have felt a lot like falling. Well friends, for the first time since finding out about grad school I am really coming to realize that next Friday I will be leaving home and taking flight. (By now you may have realized that I have a thing for birds.) It's a little unsettling to start over in an unfamiliar place, but I believe it will be a totally worthwhile adventure, and I for one am very excited for this next chapter to begin.

Until I can actually update you on my summer,

No comments:

Post a Comment