Thursday, October 21, 2010

#60...DONE!!

Okay so if you scroll down to see what #60 on my list is you'll find that it is 'meet someone famous'. I'll admit I didn't exactly meet George Clooney, but for me it's just as close! That's right, today I met Cam Newton!!! Yes, THE Cam Newton! The current front-runner for the Heisman, the Auburn quarterback, #2 on the field, and #1 in our hearts. So today's post will include a couple of stories...bear with me. First this experience takes me all the way back to freshman year.

[2006]
One night I was standing outside of my duplex with my sorority "big sister", Danielle, and her boyfriend, CJ, a small time (bench warming) Auburn football player. So there we were taking in the night air on a Saturday night after a football game when a white car passes by and CJ waves and screams "CT!!" So the car kicks it into reverse and I ask Danielle who it is, her response (in the most nonchalant tone) was, "Oh it's Courtney Taylor".

Now for everyone who doesn't remember that far back, first of all shame on you, and second of all Courtney Taylor was the man back in the day. He was an incredible wide receiver, in fact I think he now plays for the Seattle Seahawks. Anyway, back to the story...

So at this point I need to make sure I heard Danielle correctly, I mean surely a football star wouldn't be driving down my street. So I say, "Courtney Taylor? As in the wide receiver? As in #86? As in the guy who scores all of those touchdowns? That Courtney Taylor?" To which she responds, "Yeah." WHAT!!! I was freaking out!! So we walked up to the car and CJ starts chatting with him and then he says hey to Danielle, and then to me. My response, "Holy crap, you're Courtney Taylor...hey." Doh! I felt like Ralphie on 'A Christmas Story' when he finally got to talk to Santa. :(

But all in all it was a good experience, and it was the first time I realized that these players I watch on Saturdays actually walk among us.

[2010]
Well today I kind of forgot that lesson. I mean I do have a class with Kodi Burns this semester and I'll admit I had to will myself to sit on the other side of the room until I got used to seeing him so I wouldn't make the CT mistake again. I also didn't want to be the weird fan girl in class. But seeing Cam Newton today made me forget every lesson I learned about how to approach a football player.

So today I was passing out flyers on the Haley concourse for the upcoming Women's Health and Wellness Chocolate Festival when the two girls that were also passing them out got unusually giggly and quiet. I asked what was up and they said, "There's Cam Newton!" So I had them point him out and of course I freak out. I ask if they gave him a flyer and they said no and challenged me to do it...challenge accepted. So I chased him down, since he was a good way down the concourse, and I handed him a flyer.

Our exchange:
Me: (handing him the flyer) Here you go.
Cam: (taking the flyer) Thanks.
[then he looked at me..full on eye contact! Awesome!]
Me: (squealed) Oh my God!
Cam: [giggles and smiles at me]
Then I ran off.

So I guess it's safe to say that I haven't learned my way around meeting the major football players, but hey he's all over Heisman watch and ESPN! He's a huge celebrity to me!

My favorite part of it all was the reactions of the people I told this story to, especially my parents.

Dad's response: "You need to work on your social skills" (he also laughed at me)

Mom's response after I told her I chased him down: "And you caught him!" I guess she thought he was running from me. Needless to say if he was I wouldn't be able to catch him. haha

Anyway today made me happy and I hope you at least got a laugh from my football player faux pas. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment