Friday, October 22, 2010

Organically Challenged

Below on my list #13 says "learn to make organic products". Well good news, I'm marking it off already!! Two days and two items down, I'm feeling quite accomplished! Well, sort of. I guess I didn't realize that making an organic lotion wouldn't come out feeling or smelling like Bath & Body Works. (And that's putting it mildly.) Well, here's what happened...

I found a recipe online the other day to make organic vanilla body butter, and I was super excited about that! So today I took a trip to a couple of organic food stores here in town. At Earth Fare I found some good food items including baked snap peas (which sound gross but are really fantastic!), organic cream cheese (which I'm not brave enough to try yet), and the most delicious apples I've ever eaten!! If you have not purchased apples at an organic food store already, you must do this immediately, they are yummy!! So anyway I then went to Dayspring, which was much smaller, more personable, and cheaper than Earth Fare. (We have a winner!) So I bought the supplies for my lotion with the help of a sales assistant, who looked as though her name might be Rainbow or Wind, and she seemed to think my lotion recipe sounded awesome, which just made me even more excited.

So the first thing I did when I got home (after unloading groceries) was make this lotion!! Now remember that it was supposed to be vanilla body butter? Not. At. All. There was vanilla in the recipe, but it was no where to be found in the result. It smells something like what I imagine Rainbow's (or whatever her name is) apartment smells like. And the texture? One word...Crisco. I just need to rub down with this concoction before I go out to sunbathe and I'll have the best tan around!

Anyway I do feel accomplished that I made my own lotion even if it isn't what I imagined. Oh well some of the best things in life don't turn out as planned. :)




By the way, there's the picture of the final outcome. (Yes it's currently liquid, maybe hardening up in the fridge will help!) If anyone wants to give it a try on their own, let me know and I'll give you the instructions!

For now though, it's really beautiful outside and I'm super excited that I get to have dinner with my long lost friend Lauren Burnham tonight! So everyone enjoy the sunshine and have a happy Friday! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment